[Ovmsdev] Build environment

phil hochstetler phil.hochstetler at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 00:37:47 HKT 2014

I just built a VMWare virtual machine this week to build the firmware.  All
my machines use windows so I had to select a linux distro to use the
unlimited MPLAB C18 linux compiler.  I selected the latest xubuntu release
and it worked well.  If you are a developer, it is straight forward and
only took me about 2 hours to build the full working setup.  I needed to
compile code for the Think City as my hardware came programmed with the
Tesla firmware (I just build the V2_Experimental which includes ThinkCity].
 The PICKIT 3 worked fine.

I also found a cheap US provider for the sim card (consumer cellular).
 They are a AT&T reseller but have very nice terms for our limited use
(much better than going to AT&T directly).  $11.88 / month for 200 text
messages and 20 MB of data (1000 text and 100 MB data only costs $14.25).
 These prices are with the AARP 5% discount.  Choose the "Anywhere Casual"
which has 0 minutes, and add the "Connect! Lite" services for 200 text and
20 MB data.  Another nice feature is that you can change the services
during the month right up to the day they bill you so if you go over one
month, you choose the next plan if it is cheaper.  You can't loose and you
can auto bill your credit card.

Right now they are running a special until July 15.  If you sign up with a
referral link, you get $20 added to your account (that is about 1.5 months
free).  Here is the referral link to save $20:

http://www.consumercellular.com/Friends/9717774519

It would be easy to create a downloadable image (self extracting) that you
could run under the free VMWare player that is capable of building the
firmware.  Would that be of use to anyone?  If so, I can easily create one
and share the link.

Phil H.