[Ovmsdev] OVMS - power drain

Arthur Hebert ahebert at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 07:17:30 HKT 2014

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but thought I'd jump in because I recently did some
current metering of an OVMS that I've been hacking on the workbench, and I
want to share it in case it helps anyone. Here's what I've learned:

The power draw of the unit varies a lot depending on what features are
being used. After a nominal power-up with only occasional text messages,
the average 12V current draw on my unit was 120mA. With a GPRS connection
sending HTTP POSTs of about 30 bytes every 10 seconds, the average current
draw is 175mA (with peaks over 480mA).