[Ovmsdev] C2DM is deprecated, no new sign-ups

Lee Howard lee.howard at mainpine.com
Sun Jul 6 06:48:50 HKT 2014

I've got my own OVMS server going.  However, I wasn't seeing
notifications on my phone (Android) since moving away from
tmc.openvehicles.com.  Looking at the ovms_server.pl code it appears
that ovms_server.conf requires this section:

[c2dm]
email=<email>
password=<password>
accounttype=<unknown>

[This "c2dm" section, along with the "server", "master", and "log"
sections are undocumented in the docs/HOWTO.server.txt file.]

Okay, so it would seem that I need to set-up a C2DM account with Google
and put that info into the conf file.  But, Google has deprecated C2DM
in favour of Google Cloud Messaging (GCM), and Google is not granting
any new C2DM accounts...

http://developer.android.com/google/gcm/c2dm.html

Is the C2DM account used by tmc.openvehicles.com a generic account that
can be used by other OVMS servers?  I suspect that it is a private
account.  If so, then push notifications for Android users on
independent servers will necessarily require a transition to GCM.

Thanks,

Lee.

--
*Lee Howard*
*Mainpine, Inc. Chief Technology Officer*