[Ovmsdev] Motor temp does not support negative numbers (car_tmotor)

Kevin Sharpe ZCW kevin.sharpe at zerocarbonworld.org
Mon Jan 13 22:17:57 HKT 2014

Easy to hit 100C on the Roadster...

Kevin Sharpe | Founder & Trustee | Zero Carbon World, a UK Registered Charity

From: Håkon Markussen <hakon.markussen at gmail.com<mailto:hakon.markussen at gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, 13 January 2014 14:13
To: OVMS Developers <ovmsdev at lists.teslaclub.hk<mailto:ovmsdev at lists.teslaclub.hk>>
Subject: Re: [Ovmsdev] Motor temp does not support negative numbers (car_tmotor)

The highest motor temperature I ever have seen on Think City is ~45 C. This is the offset for the cooling thermostat

I cannot even imagine that other EV-motors should reach a temperature near 100C? Then the cooling system have to be out of order ... or ...?

Anybody who knows the expected operation range of motor temp for Roadster, Leaf, iMiEV and Zwizy?

Think City reports temperature in 8 bits - signed.
When bit8 (msb) is set to "1" it means negative temperature, so when the motor temp actually is -1C , OVMS reports 255C. When motor temp is -11 Ovms reports 245C ,etc.

I think that this problem might apply to all vehicles(?).

Mark, do you have any suggestion for solution?

Br.
Håkon