[Ovmsdev] Model S Data connector

Oliver Weidmann oliver at sdds.ch
Sun Jan 12 23:44:23 HKT 2014

Hi Otmar

Great to hear that you're working om Model S too. Here is my progress so far
(a copy of a mail sent some days ago):

>Well here are some details:
>
>The bus connector is located underneath the touch screen (grab the storage
shelf hole and pull STRAIGHT down).

>The connector is the same as in the Roadster. When reading the bus be sure
to attach CAN HIGH, CAN LOW and CAN GROUND (you can use normal GND, see
image). If you don’t use CAN GROUND, the car will get confused. The Roadster
doesn’t care if you use CAN GROUND, but Model S seems to be a bit >sensitive
on this topic. Also be careful with the +12V pin. If you produce a short
your instrument panel screen will eventually go black as they seem to share
the same fuse (which is the 5A fuse #49 in fuse box #2).

>Ok, once all wires are in place and the car is still running, it’s time to
read some data. Bus speed is 500 Kbit/s (vs. 1Mbit/s in the Roadster).

>A fist quick look at the data showed me the following:
>
>ID 2C8 looks like the actual charge settings.
>
>67 32 = min Standard
>67 5A = max Standard
>67 63 = one tick before max Range
>27 64 = max Range
>
>Obviously the second bit bit represents the percentage of the charge
settings (32h=50dec=50%, 64h=100dec=100%). It seems to be a readout only
variable, as sending messages to ID 2C8 didn’t change the charge settings.

Keep us updated about your progress!

Thanks
Oliver