[Ovmsdev] OVMS CAN-USB Call for Assistance

HONDA S-2000 s2000 at sounds.wa.com
Wed Sep 4 08:28:04 HKT 2013

On the topic of support libraries, Microchip has several application
notes for CAN. These aren't necessary the only ones, or even the most
appropriate for the PIC32, but they're some I had lying around.

AN853 - PIC18XXX8 CAN Driver with Prioritized Transmit Buffer
AN930 - J1939 C Library for CAN-Enabled PICmicro Microcontrollers
AN945 - A CANopen Stack for PIC18 ECAN Microcontrollers

As for optimization, I looked carefully at the (older) Microchip
compiler for the PIC18, and found no real significant advantage to
the optimized output. I decided to recommend that my client not
bother with the license, since they were seriously strapped for cash.
I looked at the assembly output for both optimized and unoptimized
(using the time-limited demo of the full product), and although they
produced different code, it wasn't exactly a night-and-day
difference. Both versions seemed to miss out on optimizations that I
could make with hand assembly. Also, the optimized version which used
the alternate PIC18 C extensions did not noticeably improve the code
or make it smaller.

The most important optimization that can be done is intelligent
coding at the C level. Many programmers waste resources using float
on an 8-bit that doesn't have direct support, or they repeat
operations thousands of times unnecessarily. These sorts of problems
cannot be fixed by an optimizing compiler, and they're much more of a
problem.

If we're going to consider ARM, then I suggest that someone take the
time to find out what chips (or circuits) are good candidates for the
voltage translation. My hunch is that I/O pins on the ARM do not
directly connect to the 12V CAN bus, especially considering that
transients of more than 40V might appear. That said, perhaps an ARM
solution can be accomplished with the same low chip count as the
proposed PIC32 solution.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting