[Ovmsdev] CAN bus noise?

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Mon Sep 23 17:04:45 HKT 2013

Matt,

If you run in listen-only mode (CAN_WRITE=0), there is very little impact on the car. In my experience, in that mode the only thing that would worry me would be a cabling fault (short, loose connection, etc).

In active-mode (CAN_WRITE=1), the MCP2551 chip actively participates on the bus, so the chances of problem are much greater (in particular if we are also actually transmitting messages on the bus).

In theory, if the CAN bus timing is off, then problems can also occur (especially in active-mode).

The chipset we use (PIC + MCP2551) has highly tested in automotive environments.

Regards, Mark.

P.S. Every time I've been called in to look at a CAN bus error with OVMS, it has been faulty cabling. Thankfully, since we switched to factory-assembled cables, I haven't seen this.