[Ovmsdev] OVMS CAN-USB Call for Assistance

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Thu Sep 5 10:22:45 HKT 2013

Looking at the wholesale pricing, and given that we have 5V already and lots of experience with MCP2551, I think I'll stick with that for the initial design and then see what the factory says.

At the moment, I'm trying to make a rough design using PIC32MX795F512H+MCP2551 - DB9 at one end, USB at the other. No final decision on microcontroller yet, but I just want to get something to the factory to firm up estimates on what this is going to cost. I'll tell the factory that the SN65HVD233 is an option for them, if it is easier/cheaper.

The PIC32 is completely overkill for this, and will most likely be 50% of the BOM cost. But, I really want lots of RAM on this thing. If we drop RAM requirement to 64KB, we can save a few bucks, but it really doesn't seem worthwhile.

Regarding the oscillator, every design I've ever done uses an external oscillator. I know the PICs (and others now) have internal FSCs, but am concerned about timing accuracies for CAN and USB. The data sheet says the internal FSC can be used for USB (and incidentally is always used for 48MHz USB when in suspend mode). Anyone have any experience with this? My gut feeling is to wire the board for an 8MHz external crystal (and two caps), and then see if we can get it working reliably with that disabled. If we end up not needing it, we can leave it unpopulated at manufacture time (saving a buck).

Regards, Mark.