[Ovmsdev] OVMS CAN-USB Call for Assistance

HONDA S-2000 s2000 at sounds.wa.com
Thu Sep 5 04:01:01 HKT 2013

The MCP2551 requires a minimum Vdd of 4.5V to ensure ISO-11898
specifications, but USB Vbus is only guaranteed to be 4.01V under
certain conditions like at the end of a bus-powered hub.

There are small 5V boost regulators that work with minimal passives,
some even with just capacitors and no inductors, but it will add to
the size and cost.

Maybe the SN65HVD233 is a better choice. It only tolerates 36V
spikes, not 42V, but I have no idea how likely either of those high
voltages are on a CAN bus in real vehicles.

The SN65HVD233 will tolerate 7V on Vcc, but 3.6V is the maximum
recommended. I almost suggested that it should run directly from USB
Vbus, but that is perhaps not wise. I'm sure the 3.3V LDO will handle
the load of the CPU and CAN transceiver.

Brian