[Ovmsdev] OVMS CAN-USB Call for Assistance

Mastro Gippo gipmad at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 16:02:06 HKT 2013

2013/9/4 HONDA S-2000 <s2000 at sounds.wa.com>:
> If we're going to consider ARM, then I suggest that someone take the time to
> find out what chips (or circuits) are good candidates for the voltage
> translation. My hunch is that I/O pins on the ARM do not directly connect to
> the 12V CAN bus, especially considering that transients of more than 40V
> might appear. That said, perhaps an ARM solution can be accomplished with
> the same low chip count as the proposed PIC32 solution.

What are you talking about? No mcu connects directly to these
voltages, they all need a transceiver. Also, there is no way we can
effectively replace the 2551 with passives.. On the other hand, there
are a bunch of equivalents out there from major companies like TI,
that may or may not cost less.
I'd say that the usb connector+MCU+mcp2551+a bunch of passives and a
crystal is all we need, now it's just a matter of choosing the right
mcu.

MG