[Ovmsdev] OVMS CAN-USB Call for Assistance

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Tue Sep 3 13:08:48 HKT 2013

>>> Any reason to avoid the 12V vehicle power? I suppose that simplifies the hardware.
>>
>> Yeah, just to keep it simple (and cheap). We would still need 5V->3.3V. Unattended logging would be cool, but only 128KB RAM in the device, and adding an SD-CARD would complicate things.
> 128KB can be enough if the logging is both specific to a certain subset of messages, and compressed or compacted. In any event, I imagine that a simply USB charger could keep the board powered for unattended logging.

Neat idea. That can keep the cost down, and keep things simple. Just a little cigarette lighter USB charger, or perhaps one of those external batteries, should do the job.

>> I'll try to rough up a schematic, to see how many components this can be brought down to. For China manufacturers, saving even 1 component brings the cost of both materials and assembly down. I remember working with the factory to remove 1 single chip costing US$1.10 down to a bunch of passive components costing US$0.10 - resulting price difference was US$3 (I think they really didn't want to use that chip, not just for the cost but also for the hassle of obtaining it).
> So, passives do not count as a whole component, not compared to a chip?

Supposedly not. Or, at least they don't concern themselves with them. I suspect that the factories have rolls of hundreds of thousands of these components, ready to go. Sometimes if I specify a 2.3k resistor, for example, they will come back and ask to substitute with 2.2k - but that happens surprisingly rarely. Their biggest concern seems to be the ICs - or maybe they are just concentrating on things that cost more than a buck.

Years ago, I remember we were hand-building these little opto-isolation circuit boards for US$15 a piece. We needed a batch of about 200, and the factory came back with a few minor changes and a minimum order quantity of 2,000 at a per-unit cost of US$1. So, we got 2,000 of them for less than the price of our hand-built 200. It is amazing how cheaply things can be in quantity from China. And, for all people denigrate the Chinese factories, quality can be amazing if you find the right people. OVMS v1 (hand built and soldered) was a pain in the arse. OVMS v2 (automated, on a single board) has had <0.5% failure rate.

For modules like OVMS (and presumably this little CAN-USB), the magic quantity seems to be about 100 nowadays. At that quantity, we can get machine-soldered boards - and the difference between hand and machine soldered is like night and day for quality. At that quantity, we can also get customised metal enclosures (although I suspect the quantity would be higher for a customised plastic enclosure).

Regards, Mark.