[Ovmsdev] Incentivising / Rewarding

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Mon Sep 2 09:56:07 HKT 2013

Brian,

OK, let's concentrate on hardware first.

So far, as far as I've got is prototyping something using:

UBW32 (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9713) PIC32MX795 development board.

MCP2551 CAN controller (http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en010405).

FT232RL based converter (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/718).

The FT232RL was just wired to the first async port of the PIC32, and the MCP2551 connected straight to the PIC32 as well using the normal CAN controller ports.

That was the prototype. For production, I don't think we need the FT232RL at all. We should be able to use the PIC32 USB and have it present as a serial port to the host (windows, linux, osx, Android?). I have played around some with the PIC USB library (I built a little HID keyboard media player for my car - https://github.com/markwj/hidmedia). But, I haven't spent much time with the PIC32 USB framework as a serial port and have no idea how the driver support works.

Components wise, I reckon we need:

USB connector, and support components
5V-3.3V power regulator
PIC32MX795 and support components
MCP2551, and support components
DB9 connector, either "standard" CAN-on-DB9 or OVMS-on-DB9 pinout
Switch for program/run mode
ICSP pins
Case

I suggest to power from the USB port, not from the vehicle side 12V. The MCP2551 (and CAN bus) is 5V, but I think can be powered directly from the USB port. The PIC32MX795 is 3.3v. But, both are tolerant and seem to be able to be inter-connected without any issues (the MCP2551 trigger level is <3.3V, and the PIC32MX795 is 5V tolerant on the CAN RX pin).

I've used these products:

http://www.can232.com

and they have a simple serial API that I am already using with my CAN-RE-TOOL:

http://www.can232.com/docs/canusb_manual.pdf

I've discussed with the factory in China, and it seems fairly simple. They have done similar projects before, using the case shown below. Plenty of room and we can either use a USB type B socket, or type A plug on the end of a soldered-in cable. The PIC32 is definitely overkill, but given the price of the chip, I don't think it is much of an issue - it will give us plenty of room to do whatever we need.

Regards, Mark.