[Ovmsdev] Incentivising / Rewarding

HONDA S-2000 s2000 at sounds.wa.com
Sun Sep 1 06:41:52 HKT 2013

Hi Mark,

I would be interested in developing USB firmware for the PIC32 that
meets your CAN-USB adaptor goals. I have experience writing USB
firmware for multiple USB Device classes (not just plain serial),
including working with the Microchip USB Stack.

I purchased the OVMS v2 with the goal of learning more about CAN
signaling on my Roadster. I haven't actually used the device because
I'm not primarily interested in getting a SIM card and paying for
network access. I wanted to support your efforts at making a hardware
platform, and I figured that I could just write my own custom
hardware for recording and analyzing CAN messages. Unfortunately, as
you're probably aware, the OVMS v2 is not immediately useful for my
project. Also, I can imagine that you know what it's like to have
more ideas than time.

The only question is how to incentivize the effort. It would be ideal
if you could pay for the PIC32 USB firmware development, but I can
see how that might not be within your budget. Another alternative is
to just send me the new platform, and I might be able to make some
progress. On that note, I would be willing to review the hardware
designs before you make prototypes, just to see if I think there is
anything missing in the hardware circuitry. Since I have experience
designing USB platforms based on the PIC and other embedded
processors, it might be worth having a second set of eyes look over
the design. Also, with my combined hardware and firmware design
experience, I think I have a particularly good sense of what makes a
good hardware platform for particular firmware projects.

Let me know what you think.

To reiterate, I'm willing to look at the hardware design without
charging anything. The reward for me will be enough to know that a
new platform that I like will be made. As for firmware design, I'm
hoping that some sort of compensation can be arranged, because that
is much more effort. However, I think we may be able to work
something out that is mutually beneficial.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting

p.s. Regarding my existing OVMS v2, I would actually enjoy having the
SIM card working for when I charge on the road, but it's just not a
priority.