[Ovmsdev] OVMS Android 3.1.3 - beta

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Sat May 11 21:41:03 HKT 2013

Need some help here. I just noticed that maps are not working on the google play version, because the api key is wrong.

Good grief, google are driving me crazy.

First they obsolete c2dm, so we can't get c2dm keys any more. That caused a month delay jumping through hoops to get the Play store app transferred between accounts.
Then, we find that you need the original signing keyring to update a google play app, even if they transferred the app to you. That was another week of grief.
Now, I find that the api v1 we are using for google maps has been obsoleted, so we can't get keys any more.
And, I find that the api key it used is tied to the signing keyring (see [2], above).
Arrgh!
Goto step 5.

Anyway, all hoops have been jumped through now, and I have a beta. It has:

First draft French localisation
First draft Dutch localisation
First draft German localisation
First draft Norwegian localisation
Maps api key fix
Experimental landscape support (ugly on small screens, but marginally better than nothing)
One minor fix (to make it work on Parrot Asteroid)

There are a few localisation strings not working, which I should have fixed tonight, and landscape is only marginally useful, but it is workable. I'd like to rush this (once localisation is ok) through beta on to play.

The beta is available for side load at:

http://www.openvehicles.com/downloads/OVMS.3.1.3.beta5.apk (for this specific beta)
or
http://www.openvehicles.com/downloads/ovms.apk (symlink to latest latest beta)

It is signed with the latest Google Play key, so should be able to be installed over your google play version without any loss of data, and there won't be any of that double-notification c2dm mess from before. I'll try to keep future betas working the same way.

Regards, Mark.

P.S. There is something magical about sitting in my car, setting valet mode via my Parrot Asteroid SMART 2DIN head unit, and watching the VDS change.