[Ovmsdev] Traffic statistics

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Sun Jan 20 17:42:19 HKT 2013

For an end-user, I would estimate around 500KB to 1MB a month nowadays.

It really depends on the cellular coverage, and rounding-up of the cellular provider. The way it works is that a GPRS connection behaves like a VPN tunnel. The module creates the connection, and sends/receives traffic over that connection. If the connection dies, the cellular provider rounds-up and charges per chunk of data (e.g. 10KB, 100KB or in some cases 1MB!), with a minumum of 1 chunk.

So, if you are in poor cellular coverage area, the module makes a GPRS connection, sends perhaps 100 bytes of data, then the connection is lost (and the cellular provider who gave you the poor coverage, rounds up that 100 bytes to 10KB!).

[ As an aside, that is why OVMS now has lots of code in net.c to try to maintain a GPRS connection and only give up on it after several minutes of trying. We used to just tear down GPRS and bring up a new connection, but that consumed too much cellular data. ]

The server tracks protocol-level data, and that is typically 10KB a day (perhaps 310KB a month). Actual cellular-level data is some multiple of that - perhaps 2 to 5 would be reasonable to expect for most users.

Regards, Mark.