[Ovmsdev] Android App

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Mon Jan 21 21:57:34 HKT 2013

I'm glad to be able to (finally) announce that the new Android App is finally ready for public beta. We're calling it v3.1.1.

The source code is all in github (for the brave), and there is an APK that can be side-loaded on Android devices, via this link:

http://www.openvehicles.com/downloads/OVMS.3.1.1.beta.apk

Functionality wise, it is pretty much on a par with the iOS App. All the core functions are there and, most importantly, the virtual car layer is complete and up-to-date. We've got HOMELINK support (yay!) as well as all the new function and parameter settings. It does have the artwork for the Volts and Amperas, but no Twizy yet (sorry, that slipped through the cracks, but we'll get it in the next build). The App should support any 2.3+ Android phone, and should scale its displays to pretty much any resolution out there. Tablet support is implemented by making them look like big phones.

There are a few things still incomplete (as previously pointed out at the start of this project):

No social group support on the map
No cellular usage
Some recent artwork missing (this is easy, and will come in the next beta release)

These will come, but weren't considered essential for this first release. The most important is to get the Android App up to the same level of functionality as the iOS App, so that they can both be brought forward.

I think if you want to install this, you first need to uninstall the Play store version. You will probably have to re-setup your vehicle as well. If you have problems with the beta, you can always uninstall it, and roll-back to the Play store version.

Please send feedback back to this list.