[Ovmsdev] test works, what next

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Mon Jan 7 15:12:20 HKT 2013

Nikolay,

congratulations :-)

Mark already said it: look for "car_" variables, these will transport
common properties. "can_" variables are currently vehicle locals, see my
previous suggestion on renaming these to reflect their vehicle specific
nature. Only common properties and commands will currently be supported
by the Apps -- adding vehicle specific code and UIs to the Apps is the
next main todo.

Note there are some variables already in the Twizy code, that
could/should become common. Generally, the more vehicles turn up to need
some value, the more likely it will become common.

Without App support, you still can do vehicle specific data collection
and analysis by sending "H" MSGs to the server. "H" msg types are
basically free-form, they can transport all vehicle specific data to the
server and to any client. There are multiple examples in the Twizy code
for that, and I've added user guides and a perl utility "cmd.pl" to
query them from the server last night, take a look. The output is simple
CSV format, so you can load that into any spreadsheet or database.

For text messages, note there is already an App msg defined ("P" = push
message), the only current caveat is, the Apps (at least the Android
one) will only process these if backgrounded. That certainly can be
fixed soon, so push messages will become a fully functional SMS alternative.