[Ovmsdev] Introduction - Tazzari Zero

Patrick Kapsch patrick.kapsch at me.com
Fri Feb 15 19:11:24 HKT 2013

Hi Mark,
thanks for the warm welcome. I've asked the Tazzari driver community for support and there are some people willing to help with firmware testing. I told them about the project and to stand by until it is absolutely sure that I can log and decode the messages from the bus.
In my first log I did several dumps including one while driving, one while charging and so on. I found that they are all the same. All parameters must be asked for. I looked at the values provided by the service console and there are a number of parameters that could be used to identify the various stages of the car. I've just contacted my dealer to ask for further documentation on the service console and a detailed explanation of every value provided, as they are all named with acronyms on the display.

As I was driving with the service console attached to my car and looking at the values I came across the first major question with regard to the SOC.
There are two percentaged SOC-Values named LevAh and LevAhR.
LevAh basically just counts down the remaining Ah in the pack and is set to 100% after a full charge.
LevAhR is represented in the dashboard by ten segments that indicate the SOC for the driver. Many cars have problems with this, especially in the cold days. Sometimes this stays at 100%, sometimes it shows nothing and so on. I'm not sure what this value is supposed to mean. There is obviously some other value involved to calculate this SOC value. As this LevAhR is not very reliable I wouldn't use it for OVMS. But a simple countdown from the nominal value of Ah in the pack (which is 160Ah in a Tazzari) isn't the right value either, or is it?
I'm no expert on this but what I thought was happening in cold conditions is that one can't pull as much Ah from the pack as in warmer conditions. So what that would mean is the car would stop working much earlier in cold conditions than the LevAh-Value would imply. If let's say the Ah that can be provided from the pack is 20% lower than the full possible Ah in warm conditions, then LevAh would still be at 20% charge when the car already ran out of juice. If that's true, then we will have to calculate our own SOC from the other provided values of the BMS. But that's quite a hard thing to do, isn't it? Please tell me that I'm wrong and the simple counting down of Ah taken from the pack is a reasonable way to calculate a SOC value :)

Regards,
Patrick