[Ovmsdev] OpenXC

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Thu Feb 7 22:27:16 HKT 2013

I heard about this a while ago. It is interesting, and I love the manufacturer involvement, but it is so limited. Just a US$130+ DIY can-USB adaptor, with firmware to decode a dozen or so sensors, and an Android library. They complain about OBDII only exposing 20-40 sensors, but even that seems more than this device.

  http://openxcplatform.com/openxc-android/reference/com/openxc/measurements/package-summary.html

I also have issues with the use of 'open'. For example, the vehicle libraries are binary-only, and you can't publish an App using this data without their permission.

I would love it if the manufacturers would truly get behind an open approach to interfacing with the car.

Regards, Mark