[Ovmsdev] Nissan Leaf

Nikolay Shishkov nshishkov at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 21:42:51 HKT 2013

Maybe the work done by Håkon on activating some of features that were not available on the CAN bus for the Think City EV can be used for the Leaf?

Nikolay

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:34 PM, Jeremy Whaling <jeremy.whaling at gmail.com> wrote:

I posted this in the LEAF CANbus decoding thread on mynissanleaf.com, but I should probably let you folks know the bad news too...

Sadly, there is no "magic" CAN bus command to wake up the VCM or the rest of the leaf. The telematics module (as well as the on board charger) wake up the VCM over dedicated logic lines when the car is off to start charging/climate/request SOC. This is according to the service manual. The OVMS module will have to do the same in order to get SOC or any other parameter out of the leaf if it is not on. Note that the EV can bus is alive (along with the VCM) during charging but the CAR can bus is quiet. There is a relay that will cycle if you do requests on the car can bus during charging, and is seen as undesired. Conversely, the CAR can bus can be active if you're in accessory mode (or just unlocking the doors) but the EV bus is quiet until the car is started.

Doe the OVMS module have any sort of external logic besides the CAN transceiver? Something will be needed in order to duplicate the logic that wakes the VCM up. We will also have to probe these logic lines during a remote request to see what sort of voltage/logic is used (I didn't see any details stated in the service manual).

Nikki,