[Ovmsdev] Data logging

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Tue Aug 20 20:30:48 HKT 2013

Mastro,

> - By setting bits of feature #13, do you mean sending a command like
> "S FEATURE 13 3" to set them both?

Yes, that is correct.

> - How much data will be recorded? Will it record cell voltages every
> second, for example?

It only stores one record for each of charge and drive. The record is a summary only - no cell voltages.

The Renault Twizy vehicle module does have some other logging code that is closer to what you require (it is only implemented in Twizy module at the moment). I believe that this is configurable to send one record every second or so during driving.

> I'm also having a few problems with the server, I'm running it from my
> pc, but I keep getting this error:
>
> 2013-08-20 03:11:09.570207 -0700 info  main: #8 - new ovms connection
> from 83.224.73.48:36348
> 2013-08-20 03:11:11.176338 -0700 info  main: #8 - - rx MP-C 0
> 5OnUlqzQRG/M9iLIp+XEVa j11lelnvojoURvQHwe1zlg== Test123
> 2013-08-20 03:11:11.177198 -0700 error main: #8 TEST123 error -
> Incorrect client authentication - aborting connection
> I tried to change passwords and encryption scheme from the DB, but I
> still get that error.

It seems that the server password on your vehicle module doesn't match the 'carpass' field in the mysql database. The passwords are stored in plaintext.

I also suggest you ensure that deleted=0 for the vehicle record, and that the vehicleid matches.

> I'd also like to know if you think that the OVMS is a good option for
> my needs, because it looks like the goal of the OVMS is too different
> from mine, so I may need to rewrite the PIC firmware to just dump the
> data from the CAN bus and push it through to my server, then parse it
> later.

The OVMS project is really about high-level control of the vehicle (start/stop charge, etc), as well as monitoring. The v1 and v2 modules are not really designed for streaming data - the lack of hardware flow control, limited RAM memory for buffering, and the limitations of 2G GPRS impact how much can be streamed.

We did add streaming while driving, but that is limited to 1 message update every 2 or 3 seconds. It is sufficient to plot the position of the car moving against a background map.

So, if you need to stream all CAN bus data, I would be doubtful whether the hardware could meet your requirements. In particular, the GPRS limitation. To do it properly, you would need 3G/4G speeds and a large data buffer.

Regards, Mark.