[Ovmsdev] More sophisticated hardware

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Wed Apr 10 02:03:40 HKT 2013

Am 09.04.2013 08:21, schrieb Mark Webb-Johnson:
> What do people think? Is this something people would want? A way to
> grow the community? Or, is there a better way of doing it?

That's a definitive YES from the Twizy community and from me.

Within the german Twizy forum, another CAN device called "Twizplay" has
been developed as a community project. That wouldn't have been started
if the OVMS had display support.

See here for details: http://www.twizplay.de/

It doesn't have any communication features, just CAN port, three buttons
+ very simple monochrome display -- yet most people interested in
getting some more info from the Twizy favor the Twizplay over the OVMS.
I've got one myself and have to admit it's sexy to have an instant power
monitor etc., that helps in driving efficiently more than the OVMS
currently can.

The Twizplay team recently talked about starting developing of a new
version to bring in communication features, especially Bluetooth and
GSM/GPRS, maybe also WLAN.

A guy from a company manufacturing professional CAN bus TFT display
devices also got a pretty Twizy configuration to work:

http://www.vectrix-forum.de/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=72&func=view&catid=38&id=24364&limit=10&limitstart=30#27246

This device was once aimed at around 250 EUR for forum members (limited
to one each), but I think it will cost more. It's based on this device:
http://graf-syteco.de/html/argos_d1000.html
...so also does not support any GSM connectivity.

Btw: one forum member suggested a display like this could also be used
as a display for external devices like reverse and logging cameras, so
you only need one monitor. The D1000 does not support this, and I think
it's not possible without some hardware video digitizer, but I also
think that's a cool idea.

So: most users really need a display first. Many don't even understand
what the current OVMS does better. An OVMS with a display would be the
perfect combination.

200 US$ would be the limit I think. That should translate to around
300-350 EUR with all components, delivery and customs. The Twizplay
currently costs ~200 EUR with all components needed.

Of course, that CPU setup (dual processor, how cool is that...) will
also allow much more functionality. My preference is also low-power
CPUs, I fear this setup will need much power anyway...

Michael Balzer * Paradestr. 8 * D-42107 Wuppertal