[Ovmsdev] OVMS TPMS on Tesla Roadster - New Jersey area

HONDA S-2000 s2000 at sounds.wa.com
Tue Apr 30 16:36:32 HKT 2013

What about recording only the unknown CAN bus data? Assuming that
most of the CAN bus messages on the Tesla Roadster are known, those
would be discarded without using any EEPROM space. I realize that the
unfortunate truth may be that there is still a lot of unknown data.

Another possibility might be to compress the data, if there is enough
processing power for that.

Finally, if there is still two much data, a two-stage process could
be used. First, OVMS firmware could build a histogram of CAN bus
message data types during a time-span when the TPMS tool is known to
be sending data over the CAN bus. Then, based on information in the
histogram, it might be possible to determine which data to save and
which data to discard. A second pass of OVMS firmware could then be
fine-tuned to record just the pertinent data. GPRS communications, if
two-way, could be used to switch between modes and/or select the
types of data to stream and/or record.

I'm assuming that the TPMS tool sends either 1 complete message for
the 4 tires, or perhaps 4 messages of 1 message per tire. There might
be a fixed number of repetitions of the data, just for error
checking. I sort of doubt that the data is sent continuously,
although that is not impossible. But it does seem most likely that
the amount of data that needs to be recorded should be small, if only
it is possible to determine in advance how to identify the data that
should be retained.

Brian