[Ovmsdev] Volt/Ampera CAN Logs

Michael Jochum mikeljo at mac.com
Wed May 30 02:43:54 HKT 2012

Hi mark,

> Probably best to continue the discussion on the ovmsdev mailing list, as others there are interested in progress (especially dpeillow and Marcus).
Yes. answer to the list.

> What you have below is a 'cyclic' log. Good for identifying unique messages (by ID) seen on the bus. Can you see if canhack has a normal logging mode to just log all messages with a time stamp?

i will do my best.

> What type of PC do you use? Linux, Mac or Windows?

For this first i use a PC with XP.

> From what RScott has written, the can bus you are on looks to have what we want. I understand everything stops when car is turned off. But, can you try recording while charging and see if it still stops?

Yes, it stops too when it is charging.

> I think that as a starting point we should target a limited amount of information, to just try to get something working and see how feasible this is. Specifically, I suggest:
>
> SOC% (CAN ID #206)
> GPS Latitude and Longitude (CAN ID #32A)
> Vehicle Speed (CAN ID #3E9)
> VIN (unknown CAN ID, but supposedly there)
>
> From the document at:
>
> http://www.EVtools.info/ChevyVoltOBD2CAN.html
>
> these should be:
>
> CAN ID	Location	Data	Units	Notes
>

> 206	Bytes 1-2	Battery SOC	.250kWh	Units possibly .244kWh
> 32A	Bytes 1-4	GPS Latitude	Milliarcseconds
> 32A	Bytes 5-8	GPS Longitude	Milliarcseconds
> 3E9	Bytes 1-2	Speed	1/100 MPH	55MPH would be 5500 (0x157c)
>
> Looking at your capture, you have:
>
> 206      3   69 C3 00

at this time the battery was charging. i think ist was between 30 and 40 %.
you must know that the lowest usable Battery power is at 30% an full is at 90%.
i will got the next log when the battery is full

> 32A      8   00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 3E9      8   00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>
> Probably your car was stationary or in the garage without GPS signal?

it was stationary in front of my house with clear view to the sky.

> RScott's sample data is:
>
> 11:48:49.885: 206 628600
> 11:48:54.955: 206 5FCA00
> 11:48:49.636: 3E9 0BAC01AC0B3C019E [Speed 29.88MPH]
> 11:48:49.870: 3E9 0C3B01C20BED01B4 [Speed 31.31MPH]
>
> Can you try to capture:
>
> The SOC% in your car, as displayed by the car itself, and matching capture of ID #206.
is coming

> Drive down a stretch of road at a constant speed, while logging. Then, get the approximate latitude and longitude of your position and speed you were at, and matching capture of ID #32A and ID #3E9.
i only have two hands. :-)

> Put the car in the open air, so it has a good GPS signal. Then, get the exact latitude and longitude of your location, and matching capture of ID#32
> The VIN number of your car.

> Based on that, we should be able to setup OVMS to capture this and transmit it on to the OVMS server/apps.
yes

> Do you want me to create the framework for this in can_voltampera.c? Maybe easier for me to create the first few messages, and then for you to adjust and fix, as I know the code so well.
ok, so it looks good.

> This is looking really promising. Your 104 captured IDs seem to match RScott's 105 almost exactly, and most of what we need has already been discovered.
Good.

Bye
michael