[Ovmsdev] RAM

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Wed Dec 5 04:45:18 HKT 2012

Mark,

I'm confused now :-)

PIC18F manual section 5.1.2 says:
"The stack operates as a 31-word by 21-bit RAM and a
5-bit Stack Pointer, STKPTR. The stack space is not
part of either program or data space."

So I thought the call return address stack is a special area limited to
31 levels.

C18 user guide section 3.2.4 says:
"The stack is sized and placed via the linker script with the STACK
directive.
If a stack larger than 256 bytes is used, the -ls option must be given
to the compiler."

So I thought as there seems to be no -ls option or special linker script
for the OVMS project, the software stack (arguments & locals) is
currently fixed and limited to one bank of RAM (256 byte).

What am I missing?

Btw: I'm now down to 161 bytes "free", and besides the known GPRS
connectivity problems, which also result in garbled text and complete
modem lockouts sometimes, everything still seems to work.

For the #ifdef wrap, I'll add that.

Transmitting just the raw sensor data to the server will first need an
App (or another client) that processes the data. I haven't yet looked
into the android code and understood it's also not the actual source for
the current App. I also like the idea of the car module being
independant of the App where possible, being usable by SMS as well.

For the net_msg output from the vehicle module, well... I'm doing that
already... sorry if I wasn't meant to :-) The current Twizy module
already transfers the "B" and "H" messages, using your diff mechanism
during normal operation, and always (stat=0) for command responses and
alerts.

Server & App support would cut down storage need significally, but I
would still need to first store at least the raw CAN values, as the CAN
interrupt handler cannot send net data directly. And as the data stream
should be able to use the diff scheme to keep traffic volume low, I
still need static CRC variables for all messages. I think that already
results in less than 256 bytes free, but I'll check it.