[Ovmsdev] Charging Stopped vs Done

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Thu Aug 16 14:24:51 HKT 2012

https://github.com/markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System/issues/67

The car has two charging complete states (charging stopped and charging done) and a bunch of sub-states. So far, we've been trying to use the sub-states to differentiate between the charging completing normally or being stopped by the user in the car (or from the apps) vs the charging being aborted early from a source external to the car. The idea is that if you pop the breaker, you get an alert, but if you stop the charge from within the car or from the App, you don't.

The problem is, as Bennett points out, that there are some reasons internal to the car that should really be alerted (but aren't). A good example is 'extension cord detected'. The car reports that on the bus as state charging stopped sub-state that it was stopped from inside the car (which is true - the car detected the charging cord and stopped the charge) - which is not what we want.

The suggestion is to change to a simpler logic. If the car reports charge state 'charging done' (ie; charge went to completion and finished) then do nothing, but if charge state is 'charging stopped' (ie; something, whatever, stopped the charge before it reached completion) then alert (via SMS/IP PUSH).

The difference will be that we would then alert if you stopped the charge from within the car of from the iPhone App, but would also catch more wierd events like 'extension cord detected'.

Personally, I think this is a safer solution to the issue. We're going to catch more events this way, the logic is much simpler. The downside is that if you stop the charge from the App/Car you also get an alert.

Thoughts?

Mark.