[Ovmsdev] Estimating charge duration (complete charge by Š time)

Tom Saxton tom at idleloop.com
Fri Aug 24 00:42:50 HKT 2012

This seems like a great data set, and will get more helpful as it gets
larger.

One question about the data summary: is the kWh the same as what's shown on
the touchscreen after a charge? If so, that the energy pulled from the wall,
not the energy added to the battery. From a quick look at the data summary,
that seems like what it is.

To be useful to timing the charges I care the most about, the model needs to
take into account the tapering that occurs near the top of the charge, which
is especially critical for range mode charges.

If you look at the graph "Current vs SOC" on my blog about Roadster charging
rates and efficiency, you can see the shape of the envelope that limits the
current draw as a function of SOC.

http://www.saxton.org/tom_saxton/2010/07/tesla-roadster-charging-rates.html

That graph isn't quite right; what we really want is maximum charge rate as
a function of SOC, but I think we can get that pretty easily.

So, I think the right model is to parameterize energy loss to overhead and
cooling as a function of ambient temperature (and perhaps battery
temperature), reduce the available power by that amount, to get the maximum
available charge rate, then cap that charge rate by the Roadster's maximum
charge rate envelope.

There are a few things that make this more complex.

1. How does reduced battery capacity affect the charge rate envelope? At the
very least, OVMS will need to have an idea the car's capacity.

2. Range mode prioritizes cooling the battery pack, which affects the
charging overhead.

3. Do we care about Performance mode charging? I haven't studied that at
all.

4. It seems to me that cooling is reduced when charging at 120V, so that may
also require some special handling.

Recently, Rod (of Rod and Barbara on TMC) pointed out that the spreadsheet
on JB's blog about Roadster efficiency and range implies that JB models the
usable capacity of a new Roadster battery pack as 55 kWh.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/roadster-efficiency-and-range

This implies that 244 ideal miles = 55 kWh. This agrees very closely with
what Rod had calculated empirically from reported energy use via the trip
meter. So, that's when I've been using lately to convert between ideal miles
and energy.

I'm very interested in getting the charge end time feature so I can time
range mode charges to end very close to my planned departure time on road
trips, but it will be at least a week before I can devote time to working on
the data set.

    Tom